When to start e-collar training with your dog?
Dog training with a shock collar can be an effective way when it is used properly. E-collar dog training or boundary shock collars for dogs are a controversial method of dog training. Some claim it is harmful and unnecessary, and some argue that, on the contrary, they are not painful and are very effective training methods.
In this article, we will look at both cases of training dogs with electric collar and then give you some tips of how to properly use a shock collar if you are going to train your dog with an electronic collar and find the best dog training collar 2021 that fits to your needs.
- There is no difference from any other negative incentive in regards to dog training. Dog trainers who use electronic collars often argue that when you properly train a dog with a shock collar, an electronic collar is no different from another negative incentive. Educators who are in favor of electronic collars say that there is no problem with their use, as long as they are used properly and responsibly.
- Technology has improved a lot. When electronic collars first appeared, the power level was not adjustable. However, electronic collars manufactured today have up to 65 levels of stimulation. Lower levels usually can be felt by smaller dogs and the current e collars can be easily adjusted to an operating level that is annoying but not painful and does no harm. Do your research and check out review sites such as https://odemagazine.com/best-shock-collars/
- For some dogs, they are more effective. Trainers who use electronic collars often claim that some dogs respond much better to one stimulation of a shock collar than they do to another negative incentive.
Here are some of the arguments against e collar for dog training
- They cause pain and anxiety. Some dog owners and trainers believe that shock collars are not good and safe for dogs and puppies because they are designed to cause pain to the animal. There has been some research that has concluded that electronic collars can increase aggression in dogs.
- They are ineffective. Some also argue that electric dog collars are not an effective training method because they provide negative incentives and positive incentives are more effective in training a dog.
- This is a forced shortened training. Some educators argue that people only use electronic collars because they are too lazy to go through a more time consuming but more efficient and friendly training process.
If you decide to use a corrective dog training collar, here are some TIPS that you should definitely follow of how do you train your dog with a shock collar effectively without causing them pain:
Do not use the electronic collar as your only training tool.
There is really a lot of evidence that positive stimuli are more effective than negative stimuli in dog training. You reward your dog when he performs the right behavior, teaches him the meaning of the word "no" and tries to work without negative behavior with verbal commands. You will probably only need to use the electronic training collar for specific dog behaviors, such as training your dog not to go out on the street, barking, jumping on people, biting, leash aggression or other unwanted behaviors, as examples.
Using a shock collar for dog training depending on the dog’s temperament
This is one aspect that most dog owners ignore, which will have a disastrous effect on your dog! There are various temperaments that you will need to be mindful of, especially when you are just about to start e-collar training on your dog. For example, dogs that have a milder temperament might be adverse towards starting e-collar training at a younger age. Also, should the dog react negatively, it will cause long-term effects onto the dog’s characteristics.
Similarly, if the dog is aggressive in nature, you might want to be extremely careful when handling them during the e-collar training phase, as their aggressive nature might mean that they are tougher to handle.
Puppy shock collar training age- How soon can you train a puppy?
Of course you must have been wondering when is the best age to train a puppy. The age of the dog should be the first indication that you should look out for when you want to start training puppies. For starters, we completely agree that dogs below the age of 6 months should not be exposed to e-collar puppy training. This is because, at the young age, they might not have the ability to receive training or to receive the various types of stimulation.
Appropriateness of stimulation type
For e-collars, there are typically four main types of correction. Each of them is suited for different types of temperament
- Shock Stimulation:For shock stimulation, the e-collar will emit a correction when the trainer presses the stimulation button. The shock is harmless and indeed safe for dogs. My Pet Command’s e-collars have varying levels of stimulation so that you can choose the proper for your dog. Usually, dogs that are aggressive in nature, as well as older dogs, might be more receptive to this type of correction collars.
- Vibration stimulation:If your dog is younger and timid in nature, then you can consider using the vibration mode.
- Tone Stimulation:If your dog is extremely timid or you are training a young puppy, you can consider using tone stimulation.
- Citronella spray collars: You could find them in two types, automatic ones which are the best solution for barking problems and anti bark collars for puppies and dogs working with a remote control. Have in mind that the auto puppy barking collars do not work for whining.
Find a comfortable power setting for your dog.
The key when using an electronic training collar for puppies and older dogs is to find the level of stimulation that will make your dog pay attention but not cause him pain. When you press the button, your dog should push his ears or turn his head, as if to say "what was that?" If your dog whines, or puts his tail between his legs, the current is very strong. Buy a collar with a high number of stimulation levels so you can choose a level that the dog can feel but will not hurt. You can hold the collar in your hand to check the vibration levels.
Most electronic collars allow you to generate an audible signal along with the current. If your dog is learning to associate the beep with the negative stimulus, you may be able to control the negative behavior simply by giving the beep without the current. Place the remote control in your pocket or behind your back.
If your dog learns to connect the remote control to the power supply, he will start to be afraid of the remote control and may become aggressive towards it, instead of learning that his negative behavior is the reason he experiences the negative stimulus.
Also important is to purchase an e-collar and let your dog wear it for a few days without using the shock collar on a puppy/dog. Once your dog does not reject the e-collar, you can start the training your dog properly.
If you decide to use e-learning, the most important thing to remember is to use the collar responsibly. My Pet Command e collars come with training guide that is very useful. So after all, which is the best age you can start training your puppy/dog? It depends on the above factors and the most important is your willingness to train your puppy with patience !