Dogs are man’s best friend, but sometimes they can get into trouble when left to roam free in the backyard. That’s why dog fences are essential for pet owners who want to ensure their furry companions are safe and secure.
In 2023, Amazon USA has a variety of dog fences available, including invisible, wireless, and electric options. In this article, we’ll be showcasing the best dog fences in 2023 on Amazon USA – invisible, wireless, electric, and more – to help you make the best decision for your furry friend.
What is an Invisible Dog Fence and How Does it Work?
An invisible dog fence, also known as an underground fence, is a system that uses a buried wire to create a boundary around a property. The fence is activated by a transmitter that sends a signal to a collar worn by the dog. When the dog approaches the boundary, the collar emits a warning sound followed by a mild electric shock to discourage the dog from crossing the boundary. Here are three important things to know about invisible dog fences:
- Invisible dog fences are customizable. The boundary wire can be buried to any shape or size, allowing pet owners to create customized boundaries for their property.
- Training is required for the dog. Invisible dog fences require a proper training program to teach the dog to associate the warning beep and shock with the boundary. A properly trained dog will understand where the boundaries are and will not attempt to cross them.
- Invisible dog fences are not suitable for all dogs. Dogs that are very large, very small, or have certain health conditions may not be suitable for an invisible fence. Pet owners should consult with their veterinarian to determine if an invisible fence is right for their dog.
What is a Wireless Dog Fence and How Does it Work?
There are 2 types of wireless dog fences in the market - GPS and Transmission based.
A wireless dog fence is a system that uses a transmitter to create a circular boundary around a property. The system operates by sending a signal to a collar worn by the dog. When the dog approaches the boundary, the collar emits a warning sound followed by a mild electric shock to discourage the dog from crossing the boundary.
On the other hand, a GPS system uses the standard satellite signal to create a area around the a centre and creates an invisible fence around it. Here are important things to know about wireless dog fences:
- Wireless dog fences are easy to install. Because they don’t require any underground wiring, wireless dog fences can be set up quickly and easily. They are particularly useful for pet owners who rent their homes or who frequently move.
- Wireless dog fences are portable. The circular boundary created by the transmitter can be adjusted in size to suit the needs of the pet owner. This makes it easy to take the wireless dog fence with you when you go camping or travelling with your pet.
- Wireless dog fences are not suitable for all properties. Because the boundary is circular, it may not be suitable for properties that are irregularly shaped. Additionally, wireless dog fences may not work well in areas with heavy tree cover or other obstacles that can interfere with the signal.
What is an Electric Dog Fence and How Does it Work?
An electric dog fence is a system that uses a buried wire to create a boundary around a property. The system operates by sending a signal to a collar worn by the dog. When the dog approaches the boundary, the collar emits a warning sound followed by a mild electric shock to discourage the dog from crossing the boundary. Here are important things to know about electric dog fences:
- Electric dog fences are effective for most dogs. The mild electric shock emitted by the collar is enough to deter most dogs from crossing the boundary. However, some dogs may be more stubborn or have a higher pain tolerance, which can make the system less effective.
- Electric dog fences require maintenance. The boundary wire can be damaged by digging or other activities, which can cause the system to malfunction. Additionally, the collar batteries must be replaced periodically to ensure that the system is functioning properly.
- Electric dog fences may not be suitable for all properties. Because the boundary wire must be buried, electric dog fences may not be suitable for properties with rocky or uneven terrain. Additionally, the wire can be damaged by lawn mowers or other yard equipment.
How to install an electric dog fence?
Installing an electric dog fence can seem intimidating, but with the right tools and a little know-how, it’s a job that most homeowners can do themselves. Here are the basic steps to install an electric dog fence:
- Plan your fence layout: Decide where you want the fence to be installed, and measure the area to determine how much wire you’ll need. Keep in mind any obstacles, such as trees or landscaping, that may affect the placement of the wire.
- Prepare the area: Clear any debris from the area where the fence will be installed. You may need to mow the grass or remove any rocks or other obstructions.
- Install the transmitter: The transmitter is the heart of the electric dog fence system. It should be installed in a dry, protected location, such as a garage or shed. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install the transmitter and test it to make sure it’s working properly.
- Lay the wire: Using a trenching tool or edger, bury the wire around the perimeter of the area you want to contain. Make sure the wire is buried at least 3 inches deep to protect it from damage. Connect the wire to the transmitter and test the system to ensure it’s working correctly.
- Install the receiver collar: The receiver collar is worn by your dog and receives signals from the transmitter. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to properly fit and program the collar.
- Train your dog: Training is a critical step in the installation process. Introduce your dog to the boundaries of the fence, using flags or other visual markers to help them understand where they can and can’t go. Use positive reinforcement to teach your dog to stay within the boundaries of the fence.
By following these steps, you can install an electric dog fence and keep your dog safe and contained in your yard. If you’re unsure about any aspect of the installation process, it’s always best to consult with a professional.
What is a Physical Dog Fence and How Does it Work?
A physical dog fence is a traditional fence made from wood, metal or other materials that create a physical barrier around a property to prevent dogs from escaping. Here are important things to know about physical dog fences:
- Physical dog fences are highly effective. A well-built physical fence can effectively keep dogs contained within the property and prevent them from escaping.
- Physical dog fences can be expensive. Depending on the size of the property and the materials used, physical dog fences can be quite expensive to install. Additionally, they may require ongoing maintenance to keep them in good condition.
- Physical dog fences may not be suitable for all properties. In some cases, zoning regulations or homeowner association rules may prevent the installation of physical fences. Additionally, physical fences can be unsightly and may not be appropriate for all types of properties.
What Factors you should Consider When Choosing a Dog Fence?
When choosing a dog fence, there are several factors to consider. Here are three important things to keep in mind:
- Property size and shape: The size and shape of the property will determine the type of fence that is most suitable. For example, wireless fences are generally better for smaller properties, while wired systems are better for larger properties.
- Dog size and temperament: The size and temperament of the dog will also play a role in choosing a fence. Some dogs may not be suitable for electric dog fences, while others may require a more advanced system.
- Budget: Cost is also an important factor to consider. Electric dog fences are generally less expensive than physical fences, but there are still variations in price depending on the brand and features. It is important to choose a fence that fits within your budget while still meeting your needs.
Best Dog Fences of 2023
These are the best Dog fences of 2023 on Amazon USA –
- My Pet Command GPS Wireless Electric Fence
- My Pet Command Wireless Underground Dog Fence System
- PetSafe Basic In-Ground Pet Fence
- PetSafe Wireless Fence PIF-300
- PetSafe Stay & Play Compact Wireless Fence
My Pet Command GPS Wireless Electric Fence
The first and most popular Fence system of 2023 is the wireless GPS Electric Fence by My Pet Command. This Electric Fence is not only affordable but also has great practical implications, accuracy, and lifeline. This Dog Fence is ideal for outdoors.
This particular My Pet Command Fence uses the GPS signal to set the invisible fence boundary. The biggest advantage of this product is that you don’t need any transmitter to use the fence and it is portable.
Features of My Pet Command GPS Dog Fence
Here are some amazing features of My Pet Command GPS Wireless Electric Fence –
- Standard GPS radio signals to set up and position your boundary containment hidden fence for dogs
- No transmitter box or boundary wire is required.
- Set up boundary within minutes.
- It can cover large outdoor areas up to 999 yards radius and up to a max of 650 acres for outdoor use only
- Suitable for open field areas or farms.
- Full memory function, no need for daily setup. However, weekly reprogramming is recommended due to GPS drift
- No interference issues, unlike traditional wireless dog fence system devices with a transmitter box
- Collar suitable for all dog sizes (small, medium, large, and x-large) and breed types with neck sizes 7“-23” (17-58 cm)
- Advanced training features with 6 levels of tone, vibrate, and stimulus shock settable levels
- Customize levels settings on the collar for a safe and effective way to warn and train your dog not to cross boundaries and keep them contained in the safe zone that you set up and require
- collar with black neck strap,
- One magnetic USB charging cable,
- One pair of long, short, and plastic prongs,
- One test bulb with a spanner,
- One training flags,
- One clear user and instruction manual with contact support
- A Bonus Ultrasonic Dog Training whistle is included in the kit.
Price: $99Learn More